Thursday, December 08, 2011

N.C. BBQ Sauce via Haiti

I LOVE N.C. BBQ! I love bbq in general, but N.C. being my home state I am partial to the home pig. I love all the sauce variations, but grew up eating the vinegar based simple sauce of eastern N.C. I also love the Durham food scene and fell in love with the food of the Old Havana Sandwich Shop on Main St.

Though Cuban food culture does not have a hot sauce, the Haitian influence of one owner is clearly enjoyed with the Papa Bull's Hot Sauce. It is very simple: lime juice, vinegar, salt and habanero peppers. It is great on their roasted pork.

One day I was thinking about bbq and the Old Havana Hot Sauce coming together in a simple N.C./Haitian marriage for a bbq sauce. I then decided to see if I could use Cackalacky Spice Sauce as the heat base. After a bit of thought and a few tests here  is a simple N.C./Haitian/Cackalacky EASTERN style bbq sauce.


RECIPE

2 cups fresh squeezed lime juice

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 5oz bottle Cacakalacky Spice Sauce

3 tsp sea salt

2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup spicy brown mustard

Throw it all in a 1 quart mason jar with a plastic lid and shake, shake, shake. Apply liberally to smoked pork or whatever meat to are taking off the  grill.


If you would like a bit more heat, float two whole habanero peppers in the jar. After a few days...the sauce will indeed be a bit more spicy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:53 AM

    im going to try this out, thank you.

    ReplyDelete